The bowls club recently renamed as Metropolitan Bushey Bowls Club was founded in 1934 and was then known as “Metropolitan Police No.2 District Bowls Club”. The green was at the District Sports Ground which formed part of the Metropolitan Police Training School at Hendon. The Club was an integral part of the Metropolitan Police Bowling Association.
The bowling green at Bushey was one of the first areas developed when the Metropolitan Police purchased the land at Aldenham Road in 1964. The Club opened in 1967 and the bowls club was renamed “The Metropolitan Police (Bushey) Bowls Club”. The Club was affiliated to Watford & District Bowling Association and the Hertfordshire Bowling Association. It has maintained those affiliations throughout the past 50+ years.
The first greenkeeper at Bushey was Bob Southwood who maintained the green to such a high standard that Hertfordshire had no hesitation in holding the County Championships on the green for several consecutive years.
The Club is proud that during the years at Bushey it has provided three County Presidents in the form of Cyril Dace, Peter McNulty and Graham Searle.
The Club continues to support both the District and County in competitions and friendly fixtures.
Find out more: